Vicarious · February 11, 2016
13: Puppymonkeybaby (feat. Sarah Jackson)
This Episode: Santa Claus, for some reason. Sarah revels in dark comedies. Josh knows kung fu. Who needs talking in movies? Leo can't do accents. Being cold sucks. Sarah was inspired by Joy. Marshall likes rules more than sports. Super Bowl ads are as absurd as ever. And we were featured on iTunes' New and Noteworthy list :)
We had a blast discussing this stuff and hope you enjoy listening! If you do, we'd appreciate a rating on iTunes. If you'd like to chat, you can find us on Twitter at @vicarious_fm, or you can join our Slack team!
Hired is a free, no-obligation job search service. If you or someone you know is looking for a job in the software engineering or design field, check out Hired.
Use our special link to get a $2,000 bonus when you sign up and accept a job, or get $1337 for a successful referral.
Many thanks to Hired for sponsoring this week's show!
- 0:00 - Captain Planet and the Planeteers
- 0:07 - Summoning Captain Planet
- 0:07 - Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, HEART (Don Cheadle is Captain Planet - NSFW)
- 0:17 - The Fifth Element - Leeloo Dallas Multipass
- 1:47 - Editor's Note: She doesn't. Sarah is very busy. If you want to skip spoilers on The Revenant, skip to 34:37.
- 3:07 - "Not that there's anything wrong with that."
- 3:53 - Editor's Note: Why were we talking about Santa? Honestly, I can't remember.
- 4:34 - Bob's Burgers
- 5:10 - Tina learns to drive
- 5:57 - Editor's Notes: The episode Sarah is talking about is called "Nice-Capades."
- 7:22 - Dumb & Dumber and Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
- 7:40 - The Way Way Back
- 8:28 - Butter
- 8:42 - Olivia Wilde
- 9:13 - Slow Learners and Tenured
- 9:57 - Ip Man 3
- 10:53 - Jet Li
- 11:27 - Birdman
- 12:05 - Boyhood
- 12:28 - Ip Man and Ip Man 2
- 13:40 - Wall-E
- 14:12 - Drive
- 14:26 - Up
- 14:35 - The wordless beginning of Up
- 14:45 - The Raid: Redemption and The Raid 2
- 14:55 - Editor's Note: The movies were actually called The Raid: Redemption and The Raid 2. Marshall is dyslexic or something.
- 16:28 - One Punch Man
- 18:19 - Kill Bill
- 18:54 - The Revenant
- 20:17 - The Revenant Was Shot Almost Entirely with Natural Light
- 21:10 - Oregon Trail - You have died of dysentery
- 23:03 - The battle at the beginning of 'The Revenant'
- 23:43 - Leonardo DiCaprio, Oscar Nominee for Actor in a Leading Role
- 24:00 - I'll never let go, Jack
- 24:06 - Editor's Note: Marshall was thinking of a different shot of "Get to the boat!" that isn't in the trailer.
- 24:57 - How Leonardo DiCaprio's 'The Revenant' Shoot Became "A Living Hell"
- 25:33 - Shia LaBeouf Cut His Own Face, Pulled Out a Tooth to Make 'Fury' More Realistic
- 25:50 - Tom Hardy
- 25:59 - Mad Max, The Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek: Nemesis
- 27:06 - Editor's Note: Skip ahead to 34:37 to avoid spoilers for 'The Revenant.'
- 28:40 - Requiem for a Dream
- 29:56 - Braveheart
- 30:43 - Editor's Note: Marshall is referring to how Liam Neeson was attacked by a pack of wolves in The Grey.
- 32:43 - Definition of the "uncanny valley"
- 34:45 - Little House on the Prairie
- 35:05 - Bonanza
- 35:44 - Leonardo's lips
- 35:52 - "I ain't afraid to die anymore. I done it already."
- 35:58 - Mr. Garrison
- 36:02 - The Man in the Iron Mask
- 37:46 - Polar Bear Plunge
- 41:36 - This guy built a luxury igloo on the deck behind his house
- 42:12 - Joy
- 42:31 - Editor's Note: Aloha was Emma Stone, not Jennifer Lawrence.
- 43:39 - Suzy Homemaker
- 49:35 - Super Bowl 50
- 54:48 - Editor's Note: Marshall is actually correct on this example.
- 55:54 - *Editor's Note: That particular chess move is called "en passant."
- 56:10 - Video of Josh describing "en passant"
- 57:05 - Wall hacks on Counter Strike: Global Offensive
- 57:35 - Puppymonkeybaby ad
- 58:20 - Skittles commercials
- 58:36 - Settle It the Usual Way
- 58:45 - Mtn Dew Kickstart dancing ad
- 1:01:13 - Kevin Hart Hyundai ad
- 1:01:40 - TurboTax.com ad
- 1:02:25 - Doritos ultrasound ad
- 1:02:51 - SuperBowl Babies ad
- 1:03:42 - Kiss from a Rose by Seal
- 1:05:35 - Bud Light campaign ad
- 1:06:40 - Super Bowl 50 Halftime show
- 1:07:08 - Bruno Mars at the Halftime Show for Super Bowl 48
- 1:09:15 - @Vicarious_FM and @sortino tweeted about the podcast being featured on iTunes' New and Noteworthy list
- 1:09:27 - Serial