Vicarious · November 26, 2015
04: Trapper Keeper Venom (feat. Sarah Jackson)
Welcome to Episode 4 of Vicarious! This episode, we talk about some of the story, character, relationship, and UI design decisions in the new Hunger Games film The Mockingjay, Part 2. We had a blast discussing it and hope you enjoy listening!
If you do, we'd appreciate a rating on iTunes. If you'd like to chat, you can find us on Twitter at @vicarious_fm, or you can join our Slack team!
Heads up. Lots of corrections and reference explanations in the Editor's Notes this week.
- 0:52 - The Hunger Games: The Mockingjay, Part 2
- 1:03 - Sarah Jackson
- 1:29 - Read the books
- 3:45 - Editor's Note: Marshall is thinking of the Twilight series, which also split its final chapter into two movies."
- 4:40 - Trapper Keeper
- 6:49 - Editor's Note: Thank you for reading the show notes! I try to be a good man and thorough.
- 7:15 - The Group Hopper - Saturday Night Live
- 7:21 - Maze Runner, Divergent, The Giver
- 8:50 - Editor's Note: Joshua is referencing PanAm (Pan American World Airlines), which was a major airline that went out of business in 1991.
- 11:50 - Jena Malone plays Johanna
- 16:51 - Joan of Arc
- 19:36 - Alien
- 21:15 - Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice
- 21:49 - Emily Blunt in Looper
- 23:06 - Thrall from Destiny
- 26:29 - Editor's Note: Marshall was going to make the point that Michelle Forbes also plays the captain of the Pegasus in Battlestar Galactica.
- 30:56 - Editor's Note: The etymology of "avox" is interesting. It's a combination of "a," meaning "without," and "vox," which is Latin for "voice." So "avox" translates literally to "without voice." Pretty cool, huh?
- 31:25 - Editor's Note: Marshall means the brothers Tank and Dozer from The Matrix. Close, but no cigar.
- 35:25 - Editor's Note: We weren't able to confirm this line, but both Joshua and Marshall remember it as "I don't know."
- 36:51 - Editor's Note: Marshall means "an hour earlier" in movie runtime, not in story event time."
- 38:15 - Josh Hutcherson
- 46:10 - Portal and Spelunky
- 46:26 - Editor's Note: Marshall is also thinking of the game 1000 Spikes (video is very NSFW).
- 49:34 - Philip Seymour Hoffman
- 53:32 - Editor's Note: In a cut segment, Sarah mistakenly says "keacepeepers" instead of "peacekeepers," so Marshall is calling back that joke, but it's out of context here.
- 54:55 - Michael Bay Epic Spinning Shot Supercut
- 55:25 - Editor's Note: Marshall means "depth of field" here, not "field of view." He confuses those all the time.
- 55:33 - The spinning shot from The Dark Knight party scene
- 55:58 - Editor's Note: "The Nut" is the name of the compound that the rebels inacapac with an avalanche.
- 56:31 - Instagram's Hyperlapse stabilization is pretty amazing
- 56:44 - Joshua's rating: 2 out of 5
- 57:21 - Marshall's rating: 1.75 out of 5
- 57:50 - "Not like this."
- 59:46 - Sarah's rating: 1 out of 5
- 1:00:09 - Concept art for the human dogs or "muttations"
- 1:01:04 - Editor's Note: Marshall is referring to his opinion of the characters Kate Mara plays referenced in episode 2 or Vicarious, "Work the Problem."
- 1:01:19 - Editor's Note: The "#notmypeeta" quip is a reference to John Oliver's "#notmychristian" campaign on Last Week Tonight in which he bemoans the casting of Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey in the film adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey.