309: Career Progression for Product Designers
This week, we look at how a product designer's career advances. We discuss the common themes and growth areas that companies use to measure progression, suggest questions you can ask yourself to assess your progress, read through some of your replies on the subject, and offer up several resources for diving deeper and learning more. And as always, we share a couple cool things, like a typeface designed for UI and an app to budget your money.
- 🎉 It's Marshall's one-year podiversary 🎉
- Brian built a Figma plugin to fetch data
- Difficulty: Complexity, autonomy, scope, and constraints
- Impact: Project success, sentiment, brand, process
- Leadership: Mentorship, identifying opportunities and pitfalls, communication skills, maintaining quality, diversity and inclusion
- Community: Nonreciprocal contributions, elevating culture, hiring
- Questions to ask yourself regarding these themes:
- Am I making change for myself, my team, my product, my organization, my company, or the industry as a whole?
- Am I being reactive or proactive?
- Am I seeking or being sought?
- Brian asked what you thought on Twitter, and you responded!
- What do you think? Let us know!
One Cool Thing:
Design Details on the Web: